So, with this healthy eating, I have ventured out a little bit 🙂 I have never actually tried store-bought hummus, but I decided to make it! And let me tell you, its Yumm-o! Not only is it yummy to eat, it’s actually really good for you!
- The chickpeas are very high in protein and it good at maintaining blood sugar levels, and it’ s also known to be effective in preventing build up of cholesterol in the blood vessels
- Tahini is not just high in protein, but it’s also a great source of calcium
- Flax seed oil is excellent for preventing high cholesterol, heart disease, cancer, and the “down in the dump” feelings
- Garlic and lemon juice work to improve immune functions and fight of bacteria and viruses and are filled with antioxidants that reduces stress in the body
- Red peppers have many vitamins like A, C, and K and are also rich in antioxidants (plus so many other things)
So enough about why you should eat it! Here is how I make it!
Red Pepper Hummus
- 4 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 1/3 cup packed fresh parsley
- 1 15oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup jarred roasted red pepper, rinsed and drained
- 6 pitted black olives/ or 3 large green olives
- 2 Tablespoons Tahini
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon of Flax Seed oil
- 1 Tablespoon Franks Red Hot (mild)
- Pitas and/or fresh vegetables for dipping
Put the unpeeled garlic in a small microwaveable bowl that can seal and add enough water to just cover the garlic. Place the sealed container in the microwave for about an 1 minute; discard water
When the garlic is cool enough to handle; squeeze the garlic into a food processes and throw away the peel. Add the parsley and process until chopped. Add chickpeas, red peppers, olives, tahini, lemon juice and Franks sauce. Blend it all together until smooth.
nutritional info: (4 Tablespoons = 1 serving) 177 calories, 4g fat, 7g protein, 4 g fiber, 3 WW point, 5 WW plusPoints
I make this at the start of the week and take it for lunches at work! I usually either take wheat thins or a pita and carrots! It really has a great flavor and is very satisfying!
Tonight I’m going to be baking Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken! If it’s a winner, I will post the recipe later this week.
Until next time,