Yes I know… 2 recipes in a row, but I can’s help it!! I will admit, I was a little skeptical with this one, because it required homemade BBQ sauce. So this post has both recipes!! (thank me later when you make this, I promise you will :))
Homemade Kansas Style BBQ Sauce
(this has a lot of ingredients but it’s sooo worth it)
- 1 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup + 3 TBS red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses (unsulfured) <–If anyone can tell me what unsulfured means, that would be awesome
- 2 tsp all natural hickory liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- Combine all ingredients together in one large pot and let it simmer for about 25 min on low. Be sure to stir it occasionally.
- Let it cool, then store in the refrigerator until your ready to use it.
Ok so now for the meat (my favorite part!!)
Crock Pot Pulled Pork
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless pork loin
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp hickory liquid smoke
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup(ish) of the homemade BBQ sauce
- Put pork in slow cooker and add vinegar, liquid smoke, garlic and salt. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours. (If you are leaving for work or something, when you come back, your house will smell AMAZING!!!)
- After 6 hours take out the pork and shred it (try not to eat it all at this point, but it’s really hard not to because the flavor on this bad boy is AWESOME). Add the shredded pork back in the slow cooker and add some of the BBQ sauce. You can gauge how much you want, if you want it more saucy add more, or if you want less, then (duh) add less.
I topped it with a little coleslaw mix. Put it in a bowl, added about a teaspoon or so of white wine vinegar, a splash of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) (yes I
watch love Rachel Ray) and a pinch of salt and pepper. Give it a mix and top a sandwich with the pork and this!
This was fabulous! Josh and I both fought the urge to go back and get a second sandwich. We had to reminded ourselves that there was plenty of left over for us to enjoy for lunch the next day.
Well, that’s all I got for now, I’m telling you though, if you are looking for something to make soon, run out to the store and pick up these ingredients. Your belly will thank you later!
Original recipe with nutritional information can be found here… Skinnytaste